I normally roll my eyes when someone injects an adjective into the title of a dish or recipe ("What exactly is so unbelievable about this muffin?"), but this is seriously the most refreshing thing I've ever tasted, so I will stand by this name. Most people are probably familiar with cucumber salad with dill, a classic staple at summer BBQs, but the addition of orange supremes and basil gives this salad a brighter, more herbaceous zing — and a beautiful vibrant plate, to boot. Recipe below.
Serves 6 to 8
2 regular or English hothouse cucumbers, unpeeled and thinly sliced (using a mandoline slicer is recommended)
1 navel or cara cara orange
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonaded
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Put cucumber slices in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, toss to coat, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, supreme the orange and set aside.
- In a big bowl, mix together vinegar, sugar, and pepper until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Drain the cucumber slices and pat them dry with a paper towel. Add them along with the orange supremes to the bowl with the dressing and toss to coat well.
- Add the dill and basil and toss until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes up to overnight and serve cold.